Bay-Friendly Training & Qualification for Maintaining Landscapes - CITY OF SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO
This four-session training program is taught by leading experts in stormwater management, soil health, irrigation, plant care, integrated pest management, and more. To become Bay-Friendly Qualified, program participants must attend all four classes and complete a final practicum.
DATES: Monday, 11/30, 12/7, 12/14, and 12/21
TIME: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm LOCATION: South San Francisco COST: $495 REGISTER NOW: Click here
SPONSORED BY: City of South San Francisco
The course provides landscape maintenance professionals with:
• Understanding of Bay-Friendly’s ecologically based, comprehensive approach to the management of public and private landscapes
• Knowledge of the effects of landscape maintenance practices on the health of our communities, watersheds and the San Francisco Bay
• Hands-on experience with practical, effective techniques such as sheet mulching to transform lawns into Bay-Friendly landscapes
• Understanding of the connections between soil health, waste management, water conservation, and air and water quality
• A competitive advantage in the professional landscape maintenance marketplace
• A certificate of qualification and patch with the Bay-Friendly Qualified Landscape Professional logo
• Graduates receive a two-year membership in the Bay-Friendly Qualified Professionals network, which includes free listing in the Bay Area-wide directory of Bay-Friendly Qualified Landscape Professionals and use of the Bay-Friendly logo to promote your sustainable landscape expertise
Note:For a Calendar of Upcoming Bay-Friendly CEU Opportunities click here.
Navigating WELO Tour 2015
Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance: Irrigation Design, Equipment & Compliance
In California, about half of the urban water is used for landscape irrigation. Substantial water savings can be gained by proper landscape design, installation and maintenance. Take this three hour tour of how to navigate WELO and work through products and practices that comply with the major changes in the model ordinance. Landscapers, designers, irrigation specialists and water agencies must do things differently starting December 1, 2015.
Learn about: efficient irrigation, new requirements for soil and mulch, a widening list of plant material, new reporting requirements, a prescriptive option for landscapes under 2500 square feet, and a more holistic watershed approach.
Cost is $25 for Bay-Friendly members and $30 for non-members with early registration that ends on September 30th, after that date and at the door it will be $30 for members and $35 for non-members.
CEUs available for Bay-Friendly, QWEL & APLD recertification. Graduates of the QWEL training program can claim 2 CEUs for attending this event.
Remove your lawn without tearing it out! Bay-Friendly Qualified
Professionals will demonstrate the tools of lawn conversion with the
innovative technique of Sheet Mulching. Following Bay-Friendly
Practices you’ll learn how to conserve natural resources, reduce
pollution, create a vibrant garden, save time and money.
Attendees will see a demonstration on how to sheet-mulch, receive climate appropriate plant selection and irrigation resources, and a chance to win raffle prizes.
All events are free and open to the public, please find registration link under each event.
San Leandro 2015 Environmental Forum: Lawn Replacement Workshop
Join us on Sat. November 7, in the Estudillo Room at the San Leandro Main Library for a Lawn Replacement Workshop, taught by Stephen Andrews of Bay-Friendly Coalition. Stephen will lead us in a fun, hands-on "Lawn Alternative" program. Not only will we show you how to get rid of that water-guzzling greenery, we will have contractors available for those of you without shovel-skills.
Saturday - November 7, 2015
San Leandro Main Library, Estudillo Room
300 Estudillo Ave, San Leandro, CA 94577
Join us on Saturday April 2, 2016, at the Napa County Administration Building for a Rethink Your Lawn Workshop, taught by the Lead Trainer of Bay-Friendly Coalition, Stephen Andrews. There will be two duplicate sessions, Session A, 9am-12pm, followed by Session B, 1pm-4pm. You only need to attend one to learn all the information you'll need to sheet mulch your own lawn!
This is a hands-on workshop, which means you'll be participating in the sheet mulching of the lawn in front of the Administration Building, so please dress appropriately. This is a great opportunity to not only learn about the process and materials that go into sheetmulching but also gain some real, hands-on experience with the technique. We hope to see you there!
Saturday - April 2, 2016
Session A 9:00am-12:00pm
Session B 1:00pm-4:00pm
Napa County Administration Building
1195 3rd Street, Napa, 94559