The Bay-Friendly Landscaping & Gardening Coalition
We are a California nonprofit organization focused specifically on promoting sustainable landscaping and gardening practices in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Coalition encourages behavior changes through a watershed approach that reduces waste and pollution, conserves natural resources and creates vibrant landscapes and gardens in the San Francisco Bay Area. The primary goal of Bay-Friendly is to encourage behavior changes that lessen the impact of conventional landscape practices on the local environment by providing home gardeners, landscape professionals, and local governments with the necessary skills to create beautiful, healthy, and sustainable gardens, and landscapes.
The Coalition addresses the following challenges:
• California’s water supply is limited and under increasing pressure. Up to 30% of urban water use goes to landscaping.
• Landfill space is scarce and there are significant economic and environmental costs to transporting and landfilling plant debris. In Alameda County alone, 110,000 tons of plant debris goes to the landfill each year.
• Local creeks and the bay are impacted by inappropriate use of pesticides, affecting human health and wildlife populations.
• Traditional landscape construction and maintenance practices of mow, shear, and blow contribute to greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution.
• Biodiversity, ecosystem services, and aesthetic values of Bay Area natural resources are at risk.
What is the Coalition doing to help bring Bay-Friendly to your community?
• Promoting the adoption of Bay-Friendly programs throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.